Introduction

Hello!  

Before I jump in, I suppose I should introduce myself and the reasons for starting this blog. 

My name is Charlotte; I am married to Pete, we live in Grimsby, Lincolnshire (UK) and I have a career in Procurement which I adore. Pete and I love going camping, skiing, and hosting games nights with our friends. In July this year (2020), we welcomed our first baby; a gorgeous little boy named Rory Thomas (middle name in honour of my brother). 

We had two perfect weeks at home until Rory fell ill at nineteen days old, and despite thinking that our world had already turned upside down on the day he was born, life really did somersault into next-level chaos following that fateful night in A&E. We have never known such an array of intense emotions; love, fear, anguish, hope, relief, sorrow, and joy, like we've experienced over the past eleven weeks. 

Today as I write this, Rory is a few days shy of three months old. One week ago it was confirmed by Rory's surgeons that he's essentially going to lose his right leg, and for the rest of his life be reliant on a prosthetic. We allowed ourselves time to cry, to 'grieve' for his leg and feel the pain of the loss on his behalf. But now it's time to buckle up: we've taken courage from his smiles, and decided that no matter what happens we as parents will not let this stop him achieving anything he wants to in life. It's our role as Mum and Dad to raise him with a positive mindset, to encourage determination, ambition and confidence. Rory continues to smile and develop despite the numerous hospital stays and operations he endures on a weekly basis (more on that to come), and we intend to foster this bravery as well as take inspiration from it/him. We encourage our family and friends to behave likewise; to not allow any doubt or limitations to take root in his mind. 

Through this blog I'll describe all that Rory has been through so far, and credit the incredible medical professionals who have saved his life and helped him through this journey. I will also be documenting his onward journey, into prosthesis and beyond. Everybody has their own unique story, but our brave little lion has a truly remarkable one already, one which we feel is worthy of sharing. 


Thanks for reading,

Charlotte


Comments

Post a Comment