Happy First Birthday Rory

Hi everyone! This post doesn't actually have anything to do with Rory's medical journey or development relating to his leg. But earlier this week Rory turned One, and that's just as a big a milestone as any in our book!




Looking back on this video of Rory's year was so emotional for Pete and I - we shared a few tears when we watched it on the morning of his birthday, even though I'd seen it progressing hundreds of times as I was putting it together! It's not until we went back through these clips as a full finished piece that we were reminded just how constant our trips to Sheffield have been, and how much time Rory has spent either in surgery or in bandages in his very short time. 

We always knew Covid was going to throw us a curveball, but what a crazy, terrifying, amazing, wonderful, heartwrenching, fun, adventurous, exhausting year it's been! And while it's been the worst year of our lives it's also without a doubt been the best. There is so much that I would liked to have changed, but absolutely nothing I'd change about our little lion. From his gorgeous smiles to his prosthetic foot, everything about him is a miracle. 






Andy Grammar's amazingly uplifting new song 'Lease on Life' that I've used in the second part of this video really touched a nerve when I first heard it. As parents, Rory has given us a new purpose, a new chapter, and a new reason to smile everyday. Rory has a new leg and a new direction in his own life. We all have so much to be positive about and this song just seemed to capture it all perfectly. 


Happy first birthday to our wonderful, brave boy. I hope he stays as happy and cheeky as he is right now. I know I say it a lot, but we are incredibly, incredibly proud of our little lion. 

Let's see what the next 12 months bring - hopefully just as many laughs, just as many cuddles, just as many achievements, but less drama please! As Andy Grammar sings, "Everything is gonna be alright".









Comments